Follow these guidelines the day before your surgery to ensure that your surgical procedure goes smoothly:
- Arrange in advance for a responsible adult to drive you home and remain with you for the first 24 hours following surgery. Your family member or companion should remain at the surgery center throughout your stay. You cannot drive yourself home or be left alone. If you are taking a cab, or other mode of public transportation, you will not be able to leave the surgery center unless you have someone with you to accompany you home.
- Before coming to the surgery center, notify your physician if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold or fever.
- If you have not spoken to a nurse regarding your medical history the day prior to surgery, please call the surgery center at 847.213.5458 for specific instructions.
- If you wear contact lenses but also own glasses, it is preferable that you wear glasses on the day of your surgery. If you do not own glasses, be sure to bring a contact lens storage case since they must be removed prior to surgery.
- We will provide containers for removable dentures and bridgework.
- The night before your surgery, you may eat a light snack before midnight (12:00 AM). Do not eat or drink anything after midnight - this includes coffee, water, chewing gum, mints, hard candy or Tums. This will reduce the possibility of nausea and vomiting following anesthesia. You may brush your teeth, but remember not to swallow anything. Refrain from the use of cigarettes or other tobacco products. Failure to follow these instructions may result in cancellation of your surgery.
- Do not take any medication after midnight, unless instructed to do so by your physician or a nurse from the surgery center. If you are diabetic or on blood pressure or heart medication, obtain specific instructions from your physician or contact the surgery center.